Friday, August 1, 2008

Tea Time with Vominatrix




Skater Name: Vominatrix
Age: 24
Neighborhood: NE
Beverage of choice: Whiskey, grape juice, or cheap champagne
Heartless Heather since day 1.

CORONER: I read that great old article from the Oregonian about the genesis of the league this morning. The writer describes you over the laptop with your teammates trying to come up with a team name.

How did the name "Heartless Heathers" finally come into being?


VOMINATRIX: We had lists and lists of names.

We had a general idea but nothing was really working for us as far as names go. Finally Bitchen Camaro (yes she was a Heather once upon a time) came up with Heartless Heathers. We all loved the movie and knew that the Heathers were the most Heartless bitches out there so we went with it. It has developed a lot over the years, though.


What started your illustrious career in roller derby?

I read a tiny little ad on the back page of the Mercury. I had just moved to town and didn't have much else to do. Plus they promised me free skates, I might not have gotten those but it was still worth it.

It seems as though you live on your roller skates nowadays. What's your skating history?

I used to sneak to the roller rink with my friends when I was about 10 yrs. old, my Mom didn't let me go to late night skate. But I hadn't skated since then. It took a while for it all to come back.

Did you grow up around here?

No I grew up in Iowa. Moved here 4 years ago, not really sure why or how but it was a good decision I know that.

You were quite skilled at all positions from early on in season one, but you were relied on quite a bit as a jammer. As the Heathers' jamming bench has deepened, how have you diversified your skills to help your team most?

I love playing all positions and I feel that by being able to do so I am stronger for my team. I really have grown into loving pivoting which is mostly what I do for Wheels of Justice. I like that the Heathers let me mix it up a bit more. I would like to see more people bouncing off of me when I hit them instead of me bouncing off of them . . . guess I should go eat some cheeseburgers, huh?

How is national play (with Portland's traveling all-star team the Wheels of Justice) different from playing local teams?

It is nice to play different skill levels, to play people that you know nothing about when you hit the track. You don't know who hits the hardest who is the best jammer, you have to figure it out as the game happens and I love that.

How did you come about your derby name?

It was suppose to be for a friend, actually, and then everyone just started calling me Vominatrix - it just sort of stuck. Check out the movie Vomitorium it was part of my inspiration.

What do you think about the new rules? Are you playing any differently?

It has been interesting switching to the new rules. It is a different game now, jammers are in the box much more then blockers it seems and minors are almost nonexistent, it's a lot of majors these days. I think my biggest struggle is working with different interpretations of the rules some I don't always agree with but you have to learn to skate with the way a game is being called.

What is your non-derby life?

I try to take photos as much as I can, I am working on going to school next year (hopefully), and I just try to get out and enjoy the summer while it is still here.

How do you find time for it all?

Haha, I don't but somehow it all works out. I have my weeks where I freak out and feel like I can't do it all but then I think about not doing it all and how bored I would be.

What should fans keep in mind as they watch the Heathers take on the Betties in the championship bout?

Stay Loud and Stay Proud. We are going to need all of your support for this one. No matter what is happening just stick with us and remember that the louder you scream the harder we skate.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I would comment...LOL!

Nothing but hardcore fan love for the V! Iowa's lose is Oregon's gain and I am damn glad she is on our team. I love to watch her work!!!

Miss Conduct PDX said...

I just love her booty.

Damn!

WMC

Heathen said...

So glad you are here and not in Iowa, You know I will be yelling my cold, little heart out for you!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you and the Heathers kick ass this Saturday. I will be losing my voice for you ladies, happily!

George said...

Great interview. Great background/insight to one of my favorite players. How can you not love Vominatrix? Kick some Bettie ass this Saturday!

Unknown said...

Vom is out of this world!