Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday Heathers Googling



Photo from Honathon's Flickr photostream

YouTube unsatisfying thus far on the Funky Four front, but we'll keep poking around.

Update: Haven't had time to sift through these YouTubes yet, but our heroines and hero may be represented somewhere therein.

Later Update: at 05:21 into this clip, F4+1M makes a brief appearance:

YouTube Clip

Looks like the glider design was sound.

Late Late Update: Ringer has found a definitive Funky 4 Plus One More vid:



.

Just in time for Championship Week, Rose City Rollers -- Victory Lap" with photographs by Douglas Remington, Steve Price and Chris Barnes. Opening reception 6-8 p.m. Tue, Aug. 5; Aug. 5-27, at Glenn and Viola Walters Cultural Arts Center: 527 E. Main St., Hillsboro (503-615-3485).

From the Hillsboro Argus:

Price first photographed the Rose City Rollers in March 2005, when the skaters allowed him to photograph a practice. He brought them prints and has has photographed the league continuously since then, including the first official bout in October 2005. He continues to photograph practices, bouts and social occasions for the league, and recently was elected the only male on the league board of directors.He is a Washington County Circuit Court judge. More of his work can be viewed at www.stevenlprice.smugmug.com/.

Remington is a professional photographer from the Hillsboro area who can often be found working behind the counter at Main Street Home Brew Supply in downtown Hillsboro.

"I started photographing the Rose City Rollers when my friend, Steve Price, asked me to fill in for him for the Aug. 18, 2007, bout. I was not sure how I would do because I have had limited experience shooting sports, being a landscape/nature photographer primarily. I enjoyed that encounter and the challenge that roller derby offers me. It has helped me to sharpen my camera skills," said Remington, whose work can be seen at www.ethereallight.com/ .

Barnes is a Seattle based photographer. "I've been an amateur photographer since the 1980s, but never really had the sports fan gene inside me. When a friend invited me to a roller derby event in 2003, and casually mentioned you could take photos of the games, I had no idea where it would go," Barnes said. "It's been a privilege to document the seasons as they unfold, providing me not only with a place to explore different photographic styles, but connecting me with the roots of any sport - the evolution of powerful rivalries, the dedication of the players to improve their game, and the excitement of the spectators that return month after month to support their favorite team."

No comments: