Friday, May 22, 2009

Derby is a Force that Gives Us Meaning

Last summer, Elwood Bruise at All Bout Derby gave his readers the opportunity to do guest posts, and I came up with this rather scattered screed which became the catalyst for the launch of the Coroner's Inquest (this here blog that you're reading right now) in July 2008.

Izabell Ringer, whose name I misspelled in the very first post of the Coroner's Inquest, had read my rant at ABD and had emailed me suggesting I manage the Heathers blog. I had mentioned to her earlier in the year, at a Heathers scrimmage against Rainy City, how much I missed the Toe Tag newsletters by the legendary Blue Face, so I reckoned, when she gave me the opportunity to try to pick up where Blue Face left off, that it was time to put up or shut up.

Funny to look back at the All Bout Derby post, see what was prophetic, what is ironic, and what remains to be done in building a better team blog, engaging fans and skaters, and keeping everyone better informed.

And it's great to see other teams following suit: The High Rollers now have a great, very fun web site, G'n'R have also very recently started their blog. Most everyone in the league is represented on Facebook (where the Heathers had the first intraleague fan page), and you can now follow RCR on Twitter.

At the Coroner's Inquest, we have a great crew of Heathers, Heathers affiliates, former skaters, and fans who have pitched in to make this a good outpost on the web for the team and for its beloved Cadavers.

And now we are going into that championship season yet again, and we're going to add some juice, ask a little bit more, and give a little bit more on the blog to boost this team.

Thanks for joining us.

Heathers Por Vida!


Photo by Axle Adams

No comments: