Monday, March 5, 2012

Meet the Rose City Rollers: BacchaNailya (OHSU Sports Medicine site)

A good read:

click

Fair use:

Skate Name: BacchaNailya
Origin of Skate Name: wacky (ok, morbid) obsession with greek tragedy (check out The Bacchae!)
Number: 19 (why? ummm it’s prime. I like prime numbers)
Day Job: Grad Student (Again. I just keep going back...)
Team: Heartless Heathers!!!

Everyone has a different story about how they found roller derby, or how roller derby found them. Ask any derby girl and you’ll see--there are definitely going to be some common themes, but we each have our own story, our own journey. Regardless of how roller derby became part of our lives, we are all athletes.

Here’s my athletic background. I grew up in Colorado, just a little outside of Denver. I played outside all the time, and living at 8000 feet above sea level, all the running, screaming, and playing I did as a young’n must have done something for my lung capacity. I've always been able to yell really loudly. :)

I always played sports. I swam competitively from the ages of 6 to 13. I skied for a few winters. I played field hockey in middle school. I ran a little cross country in middle school, too. I was all over the map. I was extremely competitive, loved winning, and I loved being active. But I hadn’t found a sport that was a passion. They were all just sort of “fun.”


...more at the link.

Q: Gee, where did they get that innovative interview style?
A: Cream Magazine, circa 1982.

No comments: